Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Easter baking :: get nesty

Hot cross bunnies, Easter is almost here! How did that happen?
As this is our first Easter in this house the littles have been very excitedly pointing out to each other all the new places the big-footed bunny might like to hide eggs for them. Of course I have been eavesdropping (just so I can make sure that bunny gets it right, you know).
I'll be spending this weekend in the kitchen whipping up as many batches of chocolate nests as I can humanly manage. I first made these little nests four years ago for our immediate family. It didn't take long for the secret to get out and the list of who I make these for has grown quite considerably. Our son even asked me this week if I would be making one for EVERY kid in his class. Ummmm... perhaps not. I do love making and giving them and they are so super easy and very delicious (a little bit Golden Roughish even).
The recipe is from my much-loved copy of Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess. Only I use shredded coconut instead of shredded wheat.
Ingredients:
200g milk chocolate
25g dark chocolate
25g unsalted butter
100g shredded coconut
Make it:
Break the chocolate into small pieces and put it in a glass bowl with the butter. Melt in the microwave on medium heat for about a minute and a half. Stir and then mix in the coconut. Now simply form small handfuls of the mixture into nest shapes and place on a tray lined with baking paper. You can make your nests whatever size you like, I get about six out of the above mixture. Leave overnight in a cool place to set. Then fill with some little speckled eggs (I use the Cadbury's ones). Chicken is optional and a bit twee but our kids love it. They say it hatched out of one of the eggs (cute). I wrap each nest in cellophane and tie with a nice ribbon.
Tip: If you are looking for preservative free shredded coconut Willowvale Organics do one. I got my local health food shop to order some in or you can get it online here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too cute!!! Thanks for the recipe, I'll join you in the kitchen this weekend ;)

Tracey said...

a very nice alternative to a foil wrapped weird looking bunny from the shops

Anonymous said...

i made these! Thanks. Of course i had to test one. They are so yummy.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs