Thursday, June 18, 2009

Before motherhood

This week sees the release of what looks to be a lovely book from Katy Garner and Peace Mitchell: What I Wish I Knew Before I Became a Mother. It would be a beautiful gift for an expectant or new mama.
Becoming a mother is the most amazing thing that has happened to me and there's no doubt it's changed my life in ways I could never have imagined.
There's so much I didn't know (and still don't) about being a mother.
Before I had my first baby I read a few books and took in a few bits of advice from people but I really didn't go into information overload.
After our son was born there were plenty of times when I thought I was so not equipped to deal with a precious new little life. But you do always find your way (or just make it up and cross your fingers) and the journey of discovery becoming a mother has set me on is one that I love and am so grateful for.
Here's a few things I've learnt along the way.
Sleep is definitely under-rated.
You will search your soul and get to know yourself better than you could have imagined.
Mastitis hurts a lot and can make you feel depressed as all get out.
A sucky day can be cured by one little smile.
Sleeping through the day is A-okay (if you can get it).
Your heart may feel like exploding at any given time.
Tomorrow is another day.
You will worry yourself sick.
You will feel so happy you will want to bottle it.
A shower feels twice as nice when you haven't had one in a few days.
Snuggling can cure anything.
You will forget your own name on occasion.
A messy house is far from the end of the world.
Some days you may never make it out of your pyjamas (which doesn't necessarily mean you won't make it to the shop for milk on those days).
Maybe bodily functions are a little bit funny.
It's possible to unpack an entire dishwasher without realising the contents were dirty.
Butterfly kisses feel beautiful.
Cars get really smelly when you let little people eat in them.
Time is a very scarce and precious resource.

[A lovely excerpt from Peace and Katy's book — something all mothers need reminding of from time to time]

What about you?
Is there anything you wish you'd known before you became a mother?
And what have you learnt along the way?

7 comments:

nellbe said...

Great post :) A couple of things I learnt was that you will never ever drink a full cup of hot coffee again and that you always questioning your own decisions. Something that was new to me!

mum space said...

So true. I have become rather partial to a cold cup of tea these days as a result...

becca said...

I loved reading this... one thing I've learned is that NOTHING hurts more as a mom that to see your child hurting. I can deal with any pain but have a very hard time dealing with my kids' pain.

I also never thought I'd look at an excursion to the grocery store ALONE as a fun, relaxing outing!

Thanks for the follow on my blog and your comment as well!

Carmel said...

I am learning new things all the time as a new mother. I can't believe how much joy a baby can bring. One thing I wish I had known before having a baby is how little time you get to yourself, I struggle with this a bit.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Lovely post! I think seeing the change in my husband was one of things I loved the most about being a mother. I fell in love with him all over again.

Peace & Katy said...

Thanks for this beautiful feature Sandra, we really enjoyed reading all the comments from your readers as well!
Peace and Katy xx

Anonymous said...

i'm glad i didn't know how hard it is being a parent or i might not have done it

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs