Monday, March 2, 2009

Autumn recipe list

It's hard to believe we'll be doing this again very soon!

Phew! I’m done collating my recipes for the new season — 28 all up. I figured a few spare nights a month should be left for eating out, eating at friends’ places or a leftover night. I’ve tried to stay in season with produce (I’m still learning in this area). As we’ve recently moved here I’m sure next year will be more successful as I get to know what’s best around here during Autumn. I’ve also tried to mix it up as much as I can while respecting the palates of family members. It feels great to know that a whole season is sorted (although I will allow for some recipes to be omitted if the family is really persistent — even though I have banned the word “yuck” at the dinner table my kids still let me know in no uncertain terms it if they don’t like something).
My main sources were:

Elizabeth David Classics:

Every Day

Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook

The Complete Book of Modern Entertaining (

I give you THE LIST:
Pizzas (Hawaiian Small Fry & Margarita Mama & Papa)

Vegetable Soup

Pork Cutlets with Apple Sauce

Spicy Chicken Meatballs

Lamb Cutlets with Beetroot Salad

Lemon Chicken

Spaghetti with Garlic Oil & Herbs

Bow Tie Creamy Pasta

Battered Flathead with Sweet Potato Fries

Vongoli Linguine

Aleppo Chicken

Pumpkin Soup

Gruyere, Leek & Bacon Tart

Pork Noodle Salad

Minestrone
Tuna Patties with Green Bean & Lentil Salad

Sang Choy Bow

Chicken & Leek Pie

Peas with Crunchy Bacon

Pork Dumplings

Chicken Nuggets and Wedges
Gnocchi with Mushrooms

Pan Fried Veal

Chicken & Basil Stir-Fry

Steamed Salmon on Potato & Leek

Pork Sausages with Le Courge au Gratin

Roast Chicken

Brown Rice Pilaf


I’ll make weekly menus from the list and shop the meat and non-perishables monthly. Fresh produce will be a weekly shop. If we invite guests over I’ll go with whatever is scheduled and just get extra for the recipe in the weekly shop. I like to put my list on the fridge each week so that I can see what I need to get out of the freezer each morning.


Week One :: Autumn cooking

I’ll list my weekly menu each Monday and some of the recipes. I think it’s a bit cheeky for me to list all the recipes out of cookbooks so I’ll just be listing my “own” recipes (that is, ones I have adapted, received from friends or made up) and anything from magazines. I may list the odd one from a cookbook, I figure that's just promotion for their book, right? All my recipes serve two adults and two kids. Here’s this week’s menu list:

Monday :: Pork Sausages with Le Courge au Gratin
I am not really a sausage fan but my kids love them. A new stall at our market carries free range pork sausages so we’re giving them a try. The Le Courge au Gratin recipe is a pumpkin mash of sorts with nutmeg and egg from Elizabeth David, Country Cooking.

Tuesday
:: Gruyere, Leek & Bacon Tart
This recipe is from Women’s Weekly: The Complete Book of Modern Entertaining that my daughter gave to me (via Daddy) for my birthday. I haven’t done savoury tarts before so fingers crossed I can pull it off.

Wednesday
:: Sang Choy Bow
Also from The Women’s Weekly Cookbook. I do love the Weekly cookbooks, all their recipes are tested A LOT (I know people who used to work for them) and I have yet to make one that doesn’t work. We’ve got lots of lettuce in our vegie patch at the moment so this one is an attempt to use some of it up in a way other than salad.

Thursday :: Steamed Salmon on Potato & Leek

Ingredients:

3 salmon fillets (about 200g each)

3 potatoes

1 leek

1 lemon

chives or dill
Make it:

Preheat oven to 180°C.
Slice potatoes (about ½ a cm thick) and leek. Put 2 tablespoons butter and 1 of olive oil in a shallow baking tray and pop in the oven for a couple of minutes to melt the butter. Arrange potatoes on baking tray in a single layer and sprinkle with a little sea salt, cracked pepper and drizzle of olive oil. Bake in oven for approx15 minutes, then turn and bake for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile place your salmon fillets in a bamboo steamer with lid on and steam for approx 15 minutes over a saucepan of simmering water. Once salmon is on heat 1 tablespoon on butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium/low heat. Put sliced leek in pan, sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper and allow to sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. You might like to add a little more butter as it is cooking. When everything is ready arrange a layer of potatoes topped with leeks on plates then pop your salmon fillets on top and squeeze some lemon over them and sprinkle with a little cracked pepper and chopped dill or chives.
Friday :: Pizza Night

For the dough (we use a recipe from an issue of Delicious a few years back, it makes enough for two large pizzas):

2 cups strong flour

1 tablespoon caster sugar

1 teaspoon salt

200ml warm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

7g sachet dry yeast

Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Add yeast, sugar and salt. Make a well and add combined oil and water. Mix thoroughly and then turn sticky mixture out onto a floured surface and kneed for five minutes. Put ball of dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Sit in a warm spot to rise for one hour.
Dough should double in size. When ready, punch dough down with your fist and then split into two even balls. Place balls one at a time on a floured surface and sprinkle the top with flour and roll out for pizza base. Place bases on lightly floured pizza trays.
For the toppings:

Small (no more than 100g) jar of tomato passata or tomato paste

4 bocconcini balls

150g ham or bacon, chopped

12 pieces fresh or tinned pineapple

1 cup grated parmesan

2 egg tomatoes
12 basil leaves
8 anchovies

Spread each base with passata to approx. two centimetres from the edge.

Hawaiian Small Fry Pizza :: Slice two bocconcinis thinly and spread evenly on sauced base. Scatter with chopped ham or bacon and pineapple pieces. Sprinkle with half a cup of parmesan. Cook at 180°C for approx 12 minutes or until base is crisp and golden and toppings are cooked.
Margarita Mama & Papa Pizza :: Slice two bocconcini thinly and spread over sauced base. Slice egg tomatoes and scatter evenly on pizza. Place basil leaves on top. Finish with anchovies and half a cup of grated cheese. Cook at 180°C for approx 15 minutes.
Saturday :: Chicken Nuggets & Wedges

Ingredients:

500g chicken breast fillet

6 large potatoes

Make it:

Cut chicken fillet into strips (approx 5x2cm) and set aside. For crumbing you will need 3 bowls: 1 containing 1 cup of flour, 1 containing 2 eggs lightly whisked, 1 containing 2 cups bread crumbs. I don’t make my own bread crumbs, I buy them from a baker who makes organic breads and then add a bit of sea salt, ½ cup of finely grated parmesan and 2 tblspns of very finely chopped parsley. Now crumb each piece of chicken — lightly coat with flour, dip in egg and then roll in crumbs until thickly covered. Once it’s all crumbed cover and pop in the fridge.

Preheat your oven to 210°C. Scrub and chop potatoes into wedge like chunks. Put wedges into a saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Let them boil only a few minutes then drain and tip onto a tea towel and pat dry. Sprinkle with sea salt. In a deep baking tray heat 1 cup olive oil. Place potatoes into heated oil with tongs and return to oven for about 1 hour, turning once. Keep an eye on them, if they are browning up more quickly reduce cooking time. When done place on paper towel for a few minutes before plating up.
When wedges are about 20 minutes off being ready heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook your nuggets for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. You might need to add a bit more butter to the pan as you go. Serve with dipping sauces of choice (we go for sour cream and tomato sauce).
Sunday :: Lamb Cutlets with Beetroot Salad
Ingredients:

10 lamb cutlets

1 cup red wine

2 tblspns balsamic vinegar

1 crushed garlic clove

8 chopped mint leaves

To make:

Combine red wine, crushed garlic, chopped mint leaves, sea salt and some cracked pepper in a large bowl. Place lamb cutlets in marinade, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge. Try and get this done at least 2 hours before you intend to cook.

Make the beetroot salad according to this recipe of mine (just multiply the ingredients by the amount of people you are feeding).

To cook the cutlets remove them from the marinade and place in a fry pan over medium heat. Cook for approx 10 minutes on one side, turn and give them 5 minutes on the other side. Serve with salad.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I made the beetroot salad and it was delicious

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs